Termination home insurance
Do you want to cancel your home insurance for a move? You just compare with affordable home insurance quotes and you found a better deal? Whether it comes to an end or not, you can cancel your home insurance. In addition, for any contract subscribed from January 1, 2015, the termination becomes even easier thanks to the Hamon law.
Attention, for your request to be taken into account, you must respect some basic rules. Thanks to affordable home insurance quotes, learn how to cancel your home or apartment insurance with peace of mind. Also find out when your insurer can cancel your home insurance policy.
To easily write your personalized cancellation letter, affordable home insurance quotes also offers you its model letter of termination.
- Termination by the insured
- Conventional termination at the annual expiry date (subscription before January 1, 2015)
- Termination at any time (subscription after January 1, 2015)
- Termination for a change of situation
- Termination by the insurer
Termination by the insured
You can cancel your home insurance contract in three situations:
Classic termination at the annual expiry date (subscription before January 1, 2015)
The traditional termination of a home insurance policy is the annual expiry date for contracts concluded before January 1, 2015. The renewal of your contract is tacit and automatic after one year unless you make a prior opposite opinion.
To inform the insured of this right of cancellation, the Chatel Act of 2005 obliges the insurer to provide information. You must be informed of the anniversary date of your home insurance to know when your contract is renewed. Your insurer must send you a notification no later than 15 days before the deadline by which you can send your cancellation. Once the notification is received, simply send a registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt (LRAR). You must send this letter of termination 2 months before the due date. In this context, no justification is necessary.
If your insurer has sent you the notice of expiry less than 15 days before the deadline by which you can send your cancellation, then you have 20 days from the date of sending the reminder to terminate your contract.
Finally, if no reminder has been sent to you, you can then cancel your home contract at any time after the expiry date. Your cancellation letter must be sent by registered letter (preferably with AR). The cancellation takes effect the day after the date appearing on the postmark.
Cancellation at any time for contracts taken before 1 January 2015:
On the other hand, with the implementation of the Hamon law, termination at any time and without justification is possible today. However, it will only be able to intervene after the next main due date in 2015.
For example, if your policy expires on September 2, 2015 (knowing that you must have been insured for at least one year), you can terminate it at any time from September 2, 2015, on the due date.
Termination at any time (subscription after January 1, 2015)
Since January 1, 2015, you can cancel your home insurance at any time after one year of insurance. If you have taken out your contract after January 1, 2015, you must only remain insured for a full year before being able to terminate out of due time and without justification.
For example, if you signed a new contract on January 5, 2015, you can terminate it at any time from January 5, 2016.
The cancellation of the old contract takes effect 1 month after receipt of your registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt (LRAR). The insurer must reimburse you for the portion of the premium paid too much.
Specific case of the tenant:
As a tenant, you must respect the obligation to insure your housing. Your new insurer may be responsible for terminating the old policy if you indicate your desire to purchase home insurance to replace the old one.
Specific case of the owner:
As the owner occupant of the housing, you will have to take care personally to terminate your old contract.
Termination for change of situation
You can also cancel your contract out of due date in case of a change of situation:
- Moving: if you change your residence, you have 3 months from your move to cancel your home insurance policy. The cancellation will take effect 1 month after receipt of your registered letter. In fact, the risk covered by the insurance may vary depending on your home and its geographical location.
- Personal situation changed: if your situation is changed (change of marital status, change of profession …) and this is an increase in the risk covered, you must report this change within 15 days to your insurer. It will make you a proposal for modification of the contract: if you do not accept it, your housing insurance is terminated.
- Increase the insurance rate: check what your contract stipulates in this situation. On this occasion, and in some cases, you can cancel your home insurance.
Be aware that a model letter of termination is most of the time in the documents received at the signing of the contract. Do not forget contact information, an explanatory object, the date and number of the contract and the end date of the contract.
To help you, affordable home insurance quotes also offers you its model letter of termination.
Termination by the insurer
The insurer can terminate your home insurance, by registered letter and subject to notice, in five cases:
- At the annual expiry date of your contract and without justification
- Out of due date, for non-payment of the subscription (NB: in this case, the premium or fraction of premium overpaid remains due to the insurer)
- Out of due date, for misrepresentation or omission
- Out of due date, for increased risk
- Out of due date, after a loss (NB: this possibility must be provided for and mentioned in the contract)
Namely: In the last two cases, if the insurer continues to collect the premiums after being informed of the situation, he loses his right to cancel.
For more information, you can consult the official website of the French administration.
With affordable home insurance quotes, change home insurance in peace for a new contract tailored to your profile and low price. Our insurance comparator makes your life easier!